How to Make a Website Like Reddit
Reddit is the most popular forum in the world with over 430 million monthly users.
If you’re looking to make a website like Reddit, you don’t have to code using HTML/CSS.
Instead, you can use a CMS (content management system) like WordPress (.org) to save time and money.
WordPress is used by over 40% of all websites on the internet, and it’s the gold standard for website creation.
This quick and easy guide teaches you how to make a website like Reddit without HTML or CSS using WordPress.
Just so that you know you’re in good hands—I’m the founder of this website (that’s also built on WordPress).
In addition, I have multiple years of experience in SEO, blogging, and website creation.
Here is how to make a website like Reddit in 7 easy steps:
- Get web hosting
- Choose a domain name for your Reddit-like site
- Install WordPress
- Choose a theme
- Install a forum plugin
- Start managing your community
- Monetize your Reddit-like site
- To get your Reddit-like site up and running, you need to get web hosting.
- SiteGround hosting is highly recommended because it’s fast, secure, and reliable.
- Click here to save up to 80% on SiteGround hosting.
- Choose between 3 plans—StartUp, GrowBig (recommended), or GoGeek.
- Try choosing a domain name that’s branded, broad, and ends with .com.
- Other extensions like .org, .net, or .io, are fine too, but they are not the most common.
- A simple way to come up with a good domain name is to combine “your niche” + “a related word” together.
- For example, if you’re creating a Reddit-like site, you can name it “funbanter.com”.
- Review the order and pay using a debit/credit card.
- Select “Set Up Website” to start the installation process.
- Select “Start New Website” and select “WordPress”.
- Choose if you want to add extra services.
- Select “Finish” and wait for WordPress to install.
Tip: If you need help with the installation process, you can contact SiteGround’s 24/7 support for help.4. Choose a theme
- Once WordPress is finished installing, you need to choose a theme (the design of your site).
- For a Reddit-like site, I recommend buying a premium theme like GeneratePress, Astra, or Divi.
- After you’ve bought a theme, install it, and navigate to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Themes > Upload Theme.
- To customize your theme, go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Customize.
Tip #1: If you need help with customizing your theme, you can contact your theme’s support.
Tip #2: You can create a logo for free using Namecheap’s logo maker (it’s the best logo maker that I’ve used).5. Install a forum plugin
Recommended plugins to install:
- Choose a forum plugin—Peepso, BBpress, or ForumEngine.
- Click here to get Peepso for up to 20% off.
- Google Site Kit – Easily connect your site to Google Analytics to see real-time visitors and stats.
- Yoast SEO – An all-in-one SEO plugin for WordPress that you can use to add an XML sitemap (a site directory).
- Jetpack – A security, speed, and stats plugin.
Tip #1: To install plugins, go to your WordPress dashboard > Plugins > Add new.
Tip #2: Do your own research—there are multiple plugins and themes that can make your site look like Reddit.6. Start managing your forum
Note: The screenshot above is the Peepso plugin (with the Gecko theme).
Here are some tips to manage your Reddit-like site:
- Create a forum around discussion—have multiple groups, share photos/videos, and have friendly debates.
- Establish rules (e.g. no illegal content, no spam), and don’t be afraid to ban people who break them.
- Keep your Reddit-like site minimal, easy to use, and with distinct colors.
- Have a strategy to get new members—launch your community on ProductHunt, and promote it on Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, or other social media platforms.
- As the owner of your community, you need to make sure to be online as much as possible and contribute to discussions.
- Once your site gains some traffic, you can start monetizing it.
- The easiest way to monetize your Reddit-like website is to serve ads on it (you can earn $5 to $20 per 1,000 visitors).
- I recommend applying for Google AdSense or Ezoic.
- Click here to start using Ezoic to serve ads on your website.
Tip #1: Ezoic earns about 5x more than Google AdSense because of its technology.
Tip #2: After you’ve reached 50k or 100k monthly visitors, you can apply for Mediavine or Adthrive (both are premium ad networks).Further reading
* This article was originally published here