PUZZLE #427: Vanishing Act 3
VANISHING ACT 3
Below are a set of what are supposed to be valid words, but instances of one duplicated letter in each word have all disappeared! Your job is to reinsert the missing duplicate letters into each numbered string of letters so that the resulting words all match up to the provided clues (listed in no particular order). The number in square brackets next to each group shows how many of the same letter need to be inserted into it. For instance, if one of the groups is "XAMPL ", then you'll need to insert a letter two times ("E" in this case) to get "EXAMPLE".
Once you've completed everything, the letters that have been added back in, in order, will form another incomplete string of letters. Insert three more of the same letter to get the FINAL ANSWER: an 11-letter noun associated with the human body
• Ceramic dog offered as a prize in early seasons of Wheel of Fortune
• J or D, for J. D. Salinger
• Like Mount Kilimanjaro, compared to every other mountain in Africa
• Mythical hybrid that Splash Woman from Mega Man 9 resembles
• "Old news" or "original copy", say
• Support for Tiny Tim
• Take over a body, like an evil ghost
• Type of cloud that resembles cotton
Once you think you know what the FINAL ANSWER is, send it to either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (though I'm more likely to check the second one) and I'll put your name on a solvers list once I post the answers in about two weeks. You can also use those email addresses to give me some comments and feedback (or even ask for a hint, though you'll be marked as having used one if you do so) or send me the answer to last week's puzzle, if you haven't already figured it out. If you have a printer and want to solve this puzzle on paper, just head below the break for a link to a .PDF version which you can print out!
* This article was originally published here